Is there something you can do to lessen the impact of rising costs on your wallet?
YES! Curbing energy consumption in homes and businesses alike starts with a back-to-the-basics approach. For example ~
1. DON’T FORGET TO USE THE FAN!
Many people think that if they have air conditioning they don’t need fans, and a surprising number of households simply don’t have fans at all. Fans not only use less energy than air conditioners, but when ceiling fans are combined with air conditioning, they enable you to raise the thermostat on air conditioners and cut those AC costs. Fan Do’s and Don’ts worth noting -1) Don’t forget to turn the fans off when the room is unoccupied! and 2) Purchase ENERGY STAR certified fans!
2. OPEN THE WINDOWS WHEN YOU CAN!
Have you ever had the experience of taking an evening stroll on a cooling Summer’s night and hearing your neighbour’s air conditioner working overtime? Pay attention to maximizing cooling cross-ventilation by opening those windows during non-peak heat hours, and turning that wallet draining AC system off!A common mistake that many homeowners of newer homes with French doors and similar out swing or in swing window and door designs make is in thinking that their home’s windows and doors just can’t be screened. Keeping bugs out then becomes a reason to keep the expensive AC on. Actually, all of a home’s windows and doors can stay open if one uses either manual or motorized retractable screens. Call us for optimizing natural cross-ventilation with non-traditional and low-cost screen systems - call 469-287-1256!
3. TURN OFF THE AIR! “Is it more efficient to keep your house at 23C (74F) in the Summer, or constantly raise the temperature to 24C (76F) or 25C (78F) when you’re not at home and then kick on the AC when you return?“ Most definately, the answer is turn off that AC when you are not home.
4. BETTER YET –GET PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTATS!
Ever run out the door rushing to work and forgetting to turn off the air conditioning system? Given the pace of modern life, this is more likely than not, and if you make a habit of it, you are spending money on cooling energy that you don’t need to. Programmable thermostats — and using them! — can spare you this expense, AND keep your home at a more comfortable even temperature.Better yet, an innovative Summer energy-minded home improvement that is becoming more popular is the use of motorized solar screens installed on the outside of the house, that either are activated with a sun sensor or a timer to roll down at peak sun hours to keep heat from entering the house. You can even tie these systems in with the programmable thermostats used for your air conditioner to truly optimize Summer energy controls.
BBQ is not only about enhancing Summer cuisine — operating one in the great outdoors does NOT heat up your home saving you AC costs.
6. SUMMERIZE YOUR FIREPLACE!
For starts, make sure that the pilot light is off on your gas fireplace during Summer months or ANY time when it is not being used regularly.Make sure you use a Fireplace Plug or Draftstopper of some kind. Studies have proven that homes with fireplaces use 30% more energy than homes without fireplaces. The Fireplace Plug or Draftstopper is designed to reduce energy loss up the chimney from home heating or cooling when the fireplace is not in use.
7. BE LAUNDRY SMART!
Switch to cold water when doing laundry because 85 – 90% of the energy used to wash your clothes is otherwise used to heat the water. Always wash full loads. If you are a choosing a washer, always select a front loading model that will save water AND energy — as much as 50% savings in energy and 40% savings in water.Then, hang towels and other laundry on a clothesline when possible. If you must use the dryer, do all the laundry on the same day such that you will not have to re-heat the dryer for each load, but instead save energy because the dryer will already be hot for consecutive loads.
8. SEEK LOW COST ENERGY IMPROVEMENTS FOR THE BATHROOM
If you install water saving showerheads in each bathroom, you can cut water consumption by up to 70%, which also saves on the heat energy needed to heat water for bathing. Dehumidistats connected to the bathroom fans not only control moisture, and also cut energy costs because dry air heats more easily than moist air.
Retractable Screens have been around for years yet we still hear the ‘WOW’ factor from walk-in customers in our showroom and at local tradeshows.
Retractable screens are a popular home improvement with some great benefits. Not only will a retractable screen help keep your family healthy and comfortable, and your home attractive, you’ll naturally cool your home by opening the doors and cut those rising energy bills in the process!
Are retractable screen doors right for your home? Absolutely! Whether your home is a condo, single family home, apartment, duplex, a retractable screen system is perfect for your home and can be customized to fit your specifications.
Many home designs today feature French doors or other out-swing doorways in front entrance ways. Rightfully so, homeowners rarely want to obscure these beautiful doors with conventional stationary screens, even if it means having to keep doors closed in order to keep insects out. A retractable screen, because it is only there when you want a breeze, solves this dilemma. Add to that the convenience factor especially important to all of us with busy lifestyles, of not having to contend with a stationary screen door to open when your arms are full of groceries and the like.
Retractable screens are exactly what you want in a home improvement – convenience, aesthetic improvements, and practical—without busting budgets.
This demonstration video will cover the various mounting types of screen applications. There are four (4) basic installation applications for the retractable screen system:
• Single Entry Door
• Double French Door
• Patio Slider
Not all retractable screen doors in the marketplace are alike. Its always best to do side-by-side comparisons of various product offerings. So if or when you are in the market for a retractable screen, we invite you to drop by and visit us at our showroom located at Decorator’s Choice in The Colony, TX.
What is a Progressive Power Screen?
The Progressive Motorized Screen System is for larger openings than the original Progressive Retractable Screen System —as wide as 25 feet and as high as 16 feet in a single unit, or as small as 3 feet by 3 feet. It is powered with an integrated motor that is operated by a remote control up to 75 feet away. Progressive Power Screens are ideal for back porch openings, large condo balconies, and garages used as playrooms or workshops. During a screen consultation, we can show you a demonstration model so you can envision how it will work for your specific application.
Standard Screen Features:
- 7 Standard Colors
- 35 Designer Color Options
- 10 Wood Grain Color Options
- Fray Resistant Screen
- Mirage Super Magnet – corrosion-resistant, very strong steel magnet, ideal for coastal areas. At this time, no other retractable screen manufacturer offers an equivalent solution for corrosion control.
- Heavy Duty Roller Tube
- Deep Track
- Slide Bolt
- Unique door handle design for a comfortable easy grip
Optional Screen Features:
- Bumper Stripping
- Self Adhesive Decorative Screen Decals
- Pet Resistent Screen
- Thermal reinforced screen edges
- New! Mirage Handle
Power Screen Details
- european styling details
- remote controlled at the touch of a button
- three popular standard color choices
- custom color matching available
- wide variety of mesh (insect, solar, privacy, and more)
- optional recessed design conceals tracks and rollers
- Simu Hertz motors standard with all units
- extruded aluminum components
- stainless steel fasteners
- accessories with sensors and timers
- security key pads available
- accomodates nearly any type of opening on virtually any establishment
- merging of indoor and outdoor spaces
- quiet and smooth operation
- provides shading from the sun, protection from harmful UV rays
- protection from insects and pests
- provides full ventilation, preserves views
- lower energy bills
- enhances privacy
- variety of screening and shading options to suit your needs
- units manufactured up to 25’ wide and 16’ tall
- virtually maintenance free
- compatible with most home automation systems (restrictions apply)
- professional service and installation
- limited lifetime warranty
- manufactured in the USA
- commercial units available